And, now, a haiku by FoodieMD:I love you apple, You are delicious and crisp, Get in my stomach.
I seriously love apples. To the point where I am thinking about apples right now at the tail end (hopefully!) of winter. My love knows not the boundaries of being in season! So, here are 5 awesome things about apples:
- You can pick them yourself! The photo above is from a trip to County Line Orchard in Hobart, Indiana last fall. Apple picking is fun and the cost is cheaper than buying them in the store. I love looking for the perfect ones that come off the branch with a little green leaf still attached. My favorites are the Gala and Honeycrisp.
- Apples are good for you. Revolutionary, I know. They are high in fiber and may lower cholesterol. They also have plenty of potassium, are low in calories and fat free. A perfect little pick-me-up for your health made by mother nature.
- Apples can be made into dessert. That’s right. Not all is healthy as it seems. County Line Orchard makes delicious apple spice donuts. There is also apple pie, apple tarts, caramel apples, candied apples – which by the way are difficult to eat. My husband and I had them at Disneyland Paris. It was like their alternative to the giant turkey legs at DisneyWorld.
- It is easy to find them organic and local. Apples are grown all around the country, so organic and/or locally grown versions are readily available in even conventional grocery stores. Apples for all!
- Variety. According to the website Maryland’s Best Agriculture, there are over 2,500 varieties of apples grown in the United States and over 7,500 grown in the world. You will never get bored.
Maryland’s Best Agriculture: Fun facts, apple varieties, growing apples, apple eaters
University of Wyoming: Canner’s Corner: Enjoying Summer’s Bounty