Recently, we’ve been having a lot of snow days in Philadelphia. And let’s just say that on those days, we want to stay inside, cuddle under some blankets and eat comfort food. My answer to comfort food cravings is homemade pizza. It is super easy to make, more tasty than the frozen kind, and a lot cheaper than ordering from the local pizza joint. Here is a way to make a super easy homemade pizza using just three ingredients. (Note that homemade is relative. If you feel up to making your own pizza dough, then I say go for it! It’s actually kind of fun.)
Time: 25 minute prep time, 15 minute cook time
- Store bought, ready to go pizza dough (Find this in a refrigerated section, wrapped in plastic. Often made by a local bakery!)
- Store bought pizza sauce
- Mozzarella or vegan cheese*
- First, remove the pizza dough from it’s packaging and coat with olive oil.
- Press or roll the dough into a shape that fits your pizza or baking pan.
- Let the dough sit for 20 minutes. It may pull away from the edge of your pan during this time.
- After 20 minutes, press and shape the dough to fit your pan again.
- Top with approximately 1 cup of sauce for a 13 inch pizza.
- Top with your choice of cheese.
- Place in a preheated oven (450 degrees) or into a preheated toaster oven.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes. Cheese should be melted and starting to brown. Or if you are like me, then your cheese will be very brown and well-done in appearance.
*I encourage you to use any cheese that you like. Mozzarella is traditional. I have used everything from parmesan to fontina to vegan cheeses. You want to make sure it is high quality and that it will melt well – so that your pizza will be covered in delicious cheese! If you are unsure, then ask the fromager (cheese-dude/dudette) for a recommendation.
**Preferably with an ice-cold beer.